Avoid the harmful chemicals found in many commercial cleaning products and opt for a non-toxic cleaning routine. I have written several times on non-toxic cleaning recipes, but one ingredient, in particular, that’s a must-have for DIY non-toxic cleaning and has quickly become my absolute favorite is baking soda. Yes, old school baking soda. You’ve probably seen this is if you Learn baking in delhi or any other baking situation for that matter.
Baking soda has a gentle, yet extremely effective scrubbing power. It reacts with the grime and grease to form glycerol, which is an ingredient commonly found in soaps. An added benefits is baking soda’s alkali property to neutralize acids in odors allowing it to eliminate strong, unwanted smells. It truly is a non-toxic cleaning powerhouse! So how do you use it?
23 Non-Toxic ways to clean with Baking Soda
1. Drain Cleaner: Pour half a cup of baking soda down the drain, followed by half a cup of vinegar. Let the solution fizz and follow by pouring 6 cups of hot water down the drain. Some blockages will be too severe and past the point of this method being effective. If you suspect that you are suffering from a significant blockage, you may want to contact specialists serving various locations before the blockage leads to sewage and wastewater backing up and damaging your home.
2. Clean the Dog: My vet recently shared with me that between shampoos I could sprinkle a bit of baking soda on her fur and massage it in with her brush.
3. Carpet Stain Remover: Mix 1 cup of baking soda with 1 cup of salt and 1 cup of white vinegar. Mix together into a paste and apply to the stain. Let dry and then vacuum to clean up. Even if you’ve got in touch with a Carpet Cleaning Tustin for example, as you wanted to get your carpet cleaned professionally, at least you know you have this option in case you spill anything on your carpet in the future.
4. Sneaker Stink-Stopper: Freshen up a pair of sneakers by sprinkling a bit of baking soda into the soles.
5. Air Freshener Spray: Mix water, baking soda and your favorite essential oil together for a beautiful air spray. Recipe here.
6. Coffee/Tea Stain Remover: Clean the stains found in your favorite coffee/tea mug by placing a tsp of baking soda in and a cup of water. Wipe clean with a cloth.
7. Clean Kids Toys: Pour 4 tablespoons of baking soda in a quart of warm water and stir until the baking soda is dissolved. Pour into a spray bottle and spray on toys. Rinse with water and dry.
8. Baking Soda Shake Freshener: Use a mason jar, baking soda, cloth and essential oil for this great natural air freshener. Recipe here.
9. Deodorize Trash Can: Sprinkle a small amount of baking soda in the trash bin once a week to keep the unwanted smells at bay.
10. Clean Stainless Steal Kitchen Sink: Use a bit of baking soda and vinegar soaked paper towels to safely clean your sink. Follow these directions.
11. Boost Laundry Colors: add a 1/2 cup of baking soda to your load of laundry to naturally boost your colors and help fight stains
12. Closet Deodorizer: place a small glass jar of baking soda in your coat closet to keep the musty smell at bay (especially in moist temperatures).
13. Clean Stovetop: pour baking soda directly on the grime. With a damp sponge, softly scrub the stovetop in a circular motion. Wipe clean with a wet cloth.
14. Fridge Deodorizer: place a small glass jar of baking soda in the fridge to keep away unpleasant odors.
15. Soap Scum Buster: In a sink or bathtub, sprinkle wet rag with baking soda and rub on soap scum. It should easily wipe away. Rinse with water.
16. Clean Combs and Brushes: let your hair combs and brushes soak in a cup of water mixed with 1 tbsp of baking soda.
17. Grout Cleaner: mix together 6 cups of water, 1/2 cup baking soda, 1/4 lemon juice and a 1/4 cup vinegar. Soak a cloth and wet grout. Let sit for a minute or so before using a brush to scrub the dirt in the grout.
18. Oil Stain Remover: dump baking soda over oil spills and stains in the garage and scrub with a bristle scrub brush.
19. Clean the Oven: Mix together 1 cup white vinegar with 1/2 cup lemon juice and pour into a spray bottle. Spray the bottom of the oven over the mess. Let it sit for 10 minutes before sprinkling baking soda on top. Leave for 5-10 minutes and wipe with a cloth. Most of the mess with come off without the need for scrubbing.
20. Litter-Box Deodorizer: mix in a bit of baking soda to your kitties litter box to naturally deodorize the space.
21. Whiten Cloth Diapers: Mix 1/3 cup baking soda in a quart of warm water and let dissolve. Soak cloth diapers in mixture before putting in the laundry for a regular wash cycle. It also helps to lay them to dry in the sun instead of using the dryer.
22. Fruit and Veggie Wash: use water, baking soda and lemon juice to remove wax off of fruits such as apples and grapes. View the recipe here (#2).
23. Soak the Dishes: add a few teaspoons of baking soda to your water-filled sink when you soak your dishes after a big meal. It will help begin the cleaning process on those tough stuck on foods before you put them in the dishwasher.